March 10th, 2014
Second Quarter Plan
Amazing, it’s the middle of March-are you ready for the second quarter?
With many of my clients we have the each member of the sales team prepare a six month Business Plan and then a shorter Quarterly Action Plan is created and as I was preparing a client audit today I realized it was time to begin to have this client’s sales team evaluate their performance.
The six month Sales Business Plan is much more than a simple sales forecast but a tool designed to help the salesperson set goals and objectives in a variety of areas.
The Quarterly Action Plan is a more tactical plan to execute on key actions to achieve their goals from their Business Plan.
There are several aspects to this systematic approach to coaching a team:
• First, the team must prepare and believe in the plan/document they are using, this normally does not always happen until the first formal review period when they see results or lack of results vs their plan.
• Second, monthly the Sales Manager must discuss with each salesperson as to their actual performance vs the plan.
• Third, the plan must include the necessary actions to improve overall performance
• Fourth, the two plans, must be designed to work together and not conflict
In building either plan consider these key elements:
• What training and development programs are important to reinforce
• What prospecting and activity goals are important to manage
• What revenue/margin goals that need a focus
• What account or territory intelligence and relationship building is important
What are you using to build a more systematic approach to hitting your objectives?
What did I miss?
Ken Thoreson “operationalizes” sales management systems and processes that pull revenue out of the doldrums into the fresh zone. During the past 15 years, our consulting, advisory, and platform services have illuminated, motivated, and rejuvenated the sales efforts for organizations throughout the world.
Ken provides Keynotes, consulting services and products designed to improve business performance. Ken@AcumenMgmt.com www.AcumenManagement.com