September 19th, 2011
Fix the Economy: Sale Leadership Must Be the Stimulus
By Ken Thoreson
While most eyes are on Washington DC and Wall Street to judge the health of the economy or to propose plans to that will “solve the problems”, everyone that reads this blog knows nothing happens unless a salesperson sells something!
I am firmly convinced that the VP of Sales, Sales Director, or Sales Manager are the linchpins that drive the growth of any organization. They set the direction, culture and create the intensity required for success, in today’s economy it is our responsibility to jump start your business that will in turn impact other organizations and eventually the economy. This will be a massive effort, but we can start TODAY! I have listed a few ideas to that will begin the Sales Leadership Stimulus program. Let’s keep the ideas flowing to help everyone succeed…
- Make sure every salesperson has a 90 business plan with activity goals, account strategies and revenue objectives. Vision and action must be in alignment
- Schedule a sales skills training event at least everyone other week-assign members of your sales team to train each other.
- Develop a “Cross Sell-Up Sell Plan for each of your existing customers. Determine what products/solutions each client currently uses and what other products/solutions you can sell to them.
- Create a specific Current Client Contact Campaign using #3 above, assign X number of clients to contact per week/salesperson, track sales results for 90 days.
- Ask each of your vendors: products/services/ administrative, for funds or gifts to use in a company wide sales contest between now and the end of the year. Read my book: Creating High Performance Sales Compensation Plans for other ideas
- Create an active scheduled Tele-Sales Blitz Days in your office with your sales team. Schedule a minimum of two hours a week where everyone prospects for new business. Track daily results for appointments. HINT: Make this a fun time.
- Once a month take your sales team to a satisfied client’s office for tour and demonstration of how they use your products/solutions. This will help build belief in your company, something required for salespeople to be mentality tough in these times. See past blogs on this topic.
- Develop a peer group of other Sales Leader’s; share your ideas, ask for advice.
- Build a team fun event where you roll out your goals, programs, create the enthusiasm to execute your plans. You must always be the positive leader, with excitement, energy and focus. Your team must believe in your plans.
- What other ideas did I forgot? List your comments below.
Acumen Management Group Ltd. “operationalizes” sales management systems and processes that pull revenue out of the doldrums into the fresh zone. During the past 12 years, our consulting, advisory, and platform services have illuminated, motivated, and rejuvenated the sales efforts for partners throughout North America. Move up and move ahead!