January 3rd, 2012
Your 2012 Sales Plan
It’s a little late to begin planning your 2012 Sales Plan, but in a conversation last week with a reader of this blog, I realized there maybe others who have not formalized their 2012 plan. I have included below the various “categories” you should consider in building a plan.
Other questions you should consider:
• What went well in the past year?
- • What did not go well?
- • What are the key drivers?
- • What are the key metrics?
- • What are the risks?
- • What are the opportunities?
• What are some of the specific factors you will be
facing in 2012?
- • What assumptions are you making about the market in 2012?
- • What assumptions did you make about your
offerings in 2011? Still true?
- • What assumptions did you make about your company
capability in 2011? Still true?
Topics: Table of Contents for the Section
- Company Mission and Strategic Alignment
2.1.1 Company Mission statement
2.1.2 Company Goals
2.1.3 Company Strategy
2.1.4 Company Critical Success Factors
2.1.5 Key measurements (Market share, profit, growth, etc)
- Sales Goals
3.1.3 Units or Product Groups
3.1.4 Target Customers
3.1.5 Market Share
3.1.6 Other Goals
3.1.7 Sales Organization
3.1.8 Personal Goals
- Market Coverage Strategy
4.1.1 Market definition
4.1.2 Territory definition
4.1.3 Target Accounts
4.1.4 Customer buying process
- Sales Strategy
5.1.1 Channel strategy (link to Sales Strategy player)
5.1.2 Partners and Alliances
22.214.171.124.2 How to leverage relationships
- Sales Cost Model
6.1.1 Compensation targets for sales organization
6.1.2 Travel and Entertainment
6.1.3 Discounts, promotions
6.1.4 Reward and Recognition
- Develop Human Resources (Link to Build an Organization)
7.1.1 Candidate profiles for each position
7.1.2 Job Descriptions
7.1.3 Hiring Process
7.1.4 Growth Plan (hiring plan)
- Training Plan
8.1.1 Sales skills
8.1.2 Product Service
8.1.3 Sales Process
8.1.4 Sales Certification
8.1.5 New Hire Training Plan
- Compensation Plan (Link to Reward and Recognition)
- Sales Process/ Sales Cycle definition: Key milestones, %Probability to close (Leads, Qualify, demo, proposal, close, revenue recognition, customer care)
10.1.1 Productivity Model,
10.1.2 Model Pipeline
10.1.3 Activity metrics
- Sales Tools (Q-screens, proposals, standard documents, contracts, sales collateral kits, case studies, ROI/justification calculators), section?
- Support systems (HR, Marketing, administration, IT, Engineering, Manufacturing)
12.1.1 Sales Force Automation/ CRM technology
12.1.2 Marketing support: Collateral, lead generation, PR events, trade shows, Press releases
12.1.3 Competitive Analysis
- a. Prepare for launch, (internal buy-in to plan, communication)
- b. Launch (Kickoff meeting), move to Tools to execute
- c. Pipeline Development process
- d. Commission and performance reports
- e. Customer Relationship programs
Acumen Management Group Ltd. “operationalizes” sales management systems and processes that pull revenue out of the doldrums into the fresh zone. During the past 12 years, our consulting, advisory, and platform services have illuminated, motivated, and rejuvenated the sales efforts for partners throughout North America. Ken’s latest book: “Leading High Performance Sales Teams”.